Dahlia House

Dahlia House
Taken in August 2013

Thursday, July 14, 2005

I am not writing this evening about any of the progress we are making, but about what it is like living out here.
I was worried that it would be too secluded and maybe boring, but the opposite is true! We are a bit overwhelmed with all the wildlife and wonderful scenery we see on a daily basis. Being a born and bred "city" girl this is amazing to me, and Brian says he just didn't pay attention to it or appreciate it as he was growing up.
We have two "resident deer" that are here for dinner each night at dusk, and they are not afraid of us at all. We go out and talk to them and they listen, and then go about their munching and crunching on the grass. (I will have to have serious talks with them if they start eating my Dahlias or Asparagus!) There are twin fawns we see just down the road and one doe with part of her back leg missing. She has a terrible time keeping up with her baby!
Besides that we see eagles and kingfishers, and all sorts of other birds. And there are always raccoons and the occasional porcupine wandering about. Had to wait while one got out of my way the other night as I came up the drive.
I even saw a bobcat on the way home one dark night. He was just strolling down the road in front of me. Today my big find was a black and white bunny rabbit!
The views out the front window are always changing, whether it be the wildlife in the front yard or the ships and boats that are passing us by. It is a forever changing scene, and we love the move we have made.
I hope that when we open our B&B that people will relax and enjoy it and appreciate the constantly changing events that unfold around us.

No comments: